Thursday, April 1, 2010

Pink vs Gaga

So the people around me got me thinking. I thought it was only the people on the internet that kept comparing Pink with Lady Gaga. Turned out everyone in my world was also doing it. One morning I was showing a video of Pink performing 'Glitter at the Air' at the 2010 Grammy's Awards to a friend who I knew was 'kinda' fond of her too and she said something like "she's almost like Lady Gaga here" and I just nodded in agreement though I really did not. And then, I started to hear voices from behind saying something similar to what my friend just said. Things like "OMG, why is she doing like what Gaga does? (aka COPY Gaga)", "maybe she's trying to compete with her", "Yeah, that's why, maybe she already feels that she's old and needs to catch up with Gaga." To be honest those voices really hurt my feelings. They are worse than what I've read on the net on comparison between both singers. I don't really get why people keep on comparing them.

Did they think Pink copied Gaga because Pink pulled that 'circus-y' stunt at Grammy's? If that was the reason that the people whose those voices were from thought Pink was copying Gaga, then they made it obvious that they don't know Pink at all. Pink has already been 'circus-y' when she released her third album "Try This" in 2003 where she had pictures of her being locked up in a big bird cage. And about those circus stunts, Pink has already pulled those stunts since the 'Try This' tour (that was in 2003 or 2004 if I am not mistaken but the exact year does not matter, the only thing that matters is that it was before Lady Gaga even existed). Those are not new to Pink and her fans who have seen her tour. If there are people who think Pink is trying to copy Lady Gaga then they should see her tours from 2003 until now.

Maybe it's a "fan-esteem" thing (they felt threatened perhaps?) but I really think both singers can NOT really be compared to one another. It's like comparing Michelle Branch and Madonna in the early 2000's. Madonna is a legend in the musical industry and though she's not as hot now, she can still be seen and heard on television and radio stations from time to time or at least on Forbe's 'Richest Women in Entertainment' chart. See, Madonna is still pretty much alive but where is Michelle Branch? No where to be heard of. She could already be dead right now and nobody would know.

So how many years has Gaga been in the industry? Barely 2 years and how many years has Pink been in the industry? More than 10 years!

I don't want to talk about the success of both singers because it has been naturally made obvious who is more successful. If you still think it's Lady Gaga, then go check the internet who has won more awards, who sold more albums, who sold more tour tickets and who made more money.

Look, Gaga may seem "hotter" than Pink right now just because she's a star on the rise (or because we're in Malaysia). Just like any other BIG singers when they were new. Where ever you go people will talk about her and it may feel like she's so big and other singers don't matter anymore (if you're a fan of Gaga that is). Will Gaga still be talk-able in the next 10 years? There's no guarantee but let's just wait and see.

And by the way, Pink got a huge standing ovation (the whole stadium stood up and clapped) because it was undoubtedly an awesome performance and not because of the western culture. Sometimes, even the highly-spirited Beyonce performing Listen (which I think her best ballad song so far) don't get a standing ovation. (At the Oscar's for instance) The performance was also the most talked-about performance of the Grammy's this year and she also got praises from many other singers like Beyonce, Katy Perry and Kelly Clarkson.

But don't get me wrong, I am a fan of both Lady Gaga and Pink. I never tried to compare them both as they have their own style of music. They are both successful in their own ways. I just got pissed off of how people are comparing them.

2 comments: